Wednesday 10 July 2024

Reflection on our / my understanding of our Aotearoa New Zealand's Histories

In the fourth week of our training, we focused on our collective understanding of the histories we tell at Waitangi. Like most if not all culture and heritage organisations, the stories we tell in our exhibitions has been carefully curated, and collectively our group have a thorough knowledge of the stories represented across the Grounds. 

What stood out the most

Once we started putting these stories onto a timeline, if became clear to us that we have some time periods with lots of stories to tell, and others where we collectively know much less, namely the time before documented European arrival to Aotearoa.

The question posed was does this matter, and collectively we decided that yes, it does matter: When we run workshops about Te Tiriti, we want to represent both treaty partners, so hītorī Māori is vitally important. Hand in hand with this goes the use of te reo Māori, and using kupu Māori with confidence (discussion about the difference between rangatira and ariki).

We also want to be through and have a great level of expertise, and while that does not mean that every facilitator has to know everything, collectively, across the team, thorough knowledge is very important: If a participant has a very specific question, we can assure them that we will check back with a colleague and then get back to them.

Finally, no matter where else our participants learn about Te Tiriti, if our exhibitions and interpretations miss some of the information we regard as important for workshop participants, then we want to incorporate some of these during the workshop.

In addition, what stood out to me was the discussions during and after the session, about the way we interact with our histories and why. When I put the session together, I didn't realise how deep the discussions would go, how much of an impact it might have.

Immediate impact on my practice

  • Yesterday I planned a follow-up session, so we can further explore our stories.
  • I noted down several changes we could already incorporate into our Te Tiriti workshops.
  • In conversation about the webinars we run, I am considering what changes we might want to make, within the limited time frame.

Impact on my future practice

  • I will look for help so I can learn some of the pepeha that relate to our stories at Waitangi.
  • I will review how I tell our stories: Where are the gaps in my kōrero, and what is the best way to fill these?
  • I hope to have more conversations with colleagues who know much more about hītorī Māori than I, opening up a dialogue where stories might be shared (when time and place are right) - maybe even the start of an oral history collection?
  • I feel privileged that I have been part of interpretive conversations at Waitangi in the past, and I hope that my voice will be considered in future interpretations, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I love to know you were here! Please leave your comment below.