Tuesday 2 July 2024

Reflective Practice

We started a new professional learning programme at work, with the aim of creating a team of professional learning facilitators. Part of the programme is to develop reflective practice, using a reflective journal. While it has been a few years, I had really enjoyed using this blog as platform for reflection, therefore I will give this another try.

The topic of our session on Monday was Mātauranga Māori. This is one of the clips we watched, which I found very informative:


We watched 0:45 to 5:49; as the whole clip is only 15 minutes long, watching it all is recommended.

Some of the takeaways for me included:
  • Māori is often explained to as 'normal', but it can also mean 'unique'
  • Education in te ao Māori happened through kōrero, wānanga.
  • mātau + ranga -> became the word for what we call education in English
  • Different levels of mātauranga:
    • mātauranga-ā-whānau
    • mātauranga-ā-hapū
    • mātauranga-ā-iwi

Whakapapa / Whanaungatanga: Looking at values that each of us had learnt / acquired in childhood: Often these also influence our adulthood. People from different cultural backgrounds sometimes still have the same values instilled in them. Some of these values can be seen negative as well as positive; i.e., a good work ethic is admired and aspired to, but it can also lead to a sense of neglecting to spend time with loved ones.

Manaakitanga: This is something everyone present feels very strongly about and confident in, the idea of providing hospitality, being kind, respectful and supporting visitors. Mana-aki-tanga - whakamana your manuhiri.

Kaitiakitanga: Kai - tiaki - tanga "looker-after-er". Often seen in context of guardianship of the environment, example of rāhui, customary conservation efforts. In our context it might also include lookign after our taonga and stories.

I want to still watch this clip:


Tapu and Noa: This is probably where I have the biggest gaps; I understand tapu as something that's either taboo or sacred, but I can not quite reconcile these two yet. Some of the practices to whakanoa transfer (at least somewhat) to my cultural background, like the wake after a funeral.

Mātauranga Māori

Encompasses:

Māori traditions, values, and perspectives

Māori creativity, and cultural practices

The interconnectedness of all things - both seen and unseen

How do we connect the Māori World with the non-Māori World to get the best out of both worlds???

My reflection
1) What aspect of the learning about mātauranga Māori stood out most to you this week?
  • I really enjoy looking at the components of kupu Māori to give me a better understanding of the words and their meaning
  • There are parallels between cultures, and there are differences. Difference are positive, they give us a wider view of an issue, where one cultural approach by itself could provide a very narrow focus
  • I need to further explore Tapu and Noa

2) Does any of what you learnt this week have an immediate impact on your practice, and if so, what is this impact? 

  • Mātauranga is very important in my work. I want to explore more those different levels of mātauranga; do I provide enough opportunity in my interactions with audiences for these forms of mātauranga to be encouraged, included, valued?

3) How might your learning impact your practice in future?

  • I think everything and anything I learn in these sessions will be very useful in my future practice, I will be able to have a better understanding of cultural aspects and it will increase my cultural competence, allowing me to move further towards the right on the Bennett scale - becoming a better Pākehā and better Tangata Tiriti.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I love to know you were here! Please leave your comment below.